You may have prepared your home for winter weather; now it’s time to prepare your car. Seasonal changes also mean changes to your emergency supply kit.
America’s PrepareAthon! encourages you to update your vehicle’s emergency kit with several items, including:
· A shovel;
· Jumper cables;
· A bag of sand or cat litter; and
· Warm clothes.
Avoid many dangerous winter travel problems by planning ahead. Before you hit the road, have a mechanic check items on your vehicle, including:
· Antifreeze levels – ensure they are sufficient to avoid freezing;
· Battery and ignition system – terminal should be clean;
· Brakes – check for wear and fluid level; and
· Tires – make sure they have adequate tread.
For more ways to prepare your car for winter weather, check out the How to Prepare for a Winter Storm guide from America’s PrepareAthon!