The only difference between adventure and disaster is preparedness.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Things that are Cool

Lots of things are cool--cucumbers, Marlon Brando circa 1954, etc. I'm thinking more along the lines of things that are cool for your emergency kit. Every Friday I'm going to attempt to feature some cool product or gadget for your kit. Today's cool item is Datrex Emergency Drinking Water. These are 4 oz pouches of water in mylar packaging with a 5 year shelf life. There are several benefits to storing water in this fashion. With mylar, there is no leaching of plastic (BPA) into your water. This is better for you and makes the water taste better.

Also, these are a lot easier and more durable to carry around in an evacuation kit than a gallon jug of water. I keep these things everywhere--a dozen in my freezer as ice packs, plus they could help keep freezer food cold longer following a power outage. I keep a bunch in my car, in my evacuation pack, in my shelter-in-place kit and in my desk drawer in my office. I have also taken about 6 straws from Capri-Sun juice pouches and taped them to the pouches in my 4-year old's emergency kit because then he could just stab the straw in and drink the water like a juice pouch. I can't imagine him attempting to drink from a bag, it would probably result in a secondary disaster....

These are also great because they have a 5-year shelf life. I bought a few boxes last December and they are good until May of 2015. It's nice not to have to worry about rotating water until 2015, by which time I will have been elected intergalactic supreme ruler and will have minions to take care of my preparedness needs.

So, where do you get these cool things? You can order them from Simple-Safety, on Amazon, from PrepareSmart or you could try The Survival Bunker in Kalama. I don't know if they carry the pouches in their store at 447 N. First Street in Kalama, but I bet if you called 830-822-1210, they could help you out. Also, an instructor from Simple-Safety will be leading a preparedness class on April 21st in Kalama and you can purchase a box at that time and not pay shipping. If you are interested in this option, send us an email at DEM@co.cowlitz.wa.us and we'll talk.

Cool stuff!

No comments: