The only difference between adventure and disaster is preparedness.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Carbon Monoxide Safety

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that cannot be seen or smelled and can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by appliances that are not used properly or that are malfunctioning. Carbon monoxide can build up so quickly that victims are overcome before they can get help.
Once inhaled, carbon monoxide:
* Can cause permanent brain damage.
* Can cause chest pains or heart attacks in people with heart disease.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
* Headache
* Weakness
* Dizziness
* Confusion
* Fatigue
* Nausea

What should be done with you suspect someone has been poisoned by carbon monoxide?
* Move the person to a place with fresh air immediately.
* Take the person to an emergency room and tell them that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.

How can I prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?
* Never burn charcoal inside homes, tents, campers, vans, trucks, garages or mobile homes. Do not burn charcoal in the fireplace in the home.
* Never use gasoline powered equipment indoors.
* Never use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
* Never sleep in a room while using an unvented gas or kerosene heater.
* Make sure that chimneys and flues are in good condition and are not blocked.
* Never idle a car in a garage, even when the garage door is open.
* Carbon monoxide warning devices may provide additional protection, but should not replace the other prevention steps.

1 comment:

carbon monoxide detector australia said...

I have read your blog post regarding carbon monoxide and it was really helpful and informative post! thanks for sharing this great contents.