Unscrupulous contractors and others often target areas where disasters cause damage and destruction. Use extra caution to avoid being scammed.
* Check the identification of anyone claiming to be a government official, property inspector, or loss verifier.
* Be sure that any contractor you contact is licensed and insured, and has a good reputation.
* Be cautious about any door-to-door salesmen, charity representatives, or contractors asking for cash up front.
* Carefully read all applications for disaster assistance and contracts for home repairs.
* Verify the identity of anyone who asks you for your personal information.
From FEMA Disaster Recovery Guide
Disasters often bring out the best in people, but in a few cases it brings out the ugly.