FOOD: It’s not safe to roam the streets in search of Big Macs or Mocha-chip Frappacinos during a zombie invasion. Make sure you have enough food on hand (that can be prepared without electricity) to feed your family for at least three days.
LIGHT: Zombies are creatures of the night, hence, they have a great disdain for light. Have plenty of battery-powered flashlights and extra batteries on hand. It’s also a great idea to have an LED headlamp to keep your hands free to protect your brains, if needed.
FIRST AID KIT: Have a comprehensive first aid kit and guide to basic first aid procedures. Be sure to treat any zombie bites with antibacterial gel immediately….before it’s too late.
WHISTLE: This is a great way to signal for help. Also, zombie ears cannot handle the pitch of a whistle and will stay far away.
DUST MASK: Zombies smell positively putrid, this should help with the stench as well as being useful against airborne contagions, chemicals or volcanic ash.
HYGIENE SUPPLIES: towelettes or baby wipes, garbage bags, hand sanitizer and feminine hygiene supplies. Zombies hate cleanliness and sanitary conditions.
TOOLS: Leatherman tool, wrench, foldable shovel, ax….you know why.
LOCAL MAPS: If you have to exit your zombie-occupied neighborhood in a hurry, it might be nice to know alternate ways around known infestation areas. Also, learn how to read a map. Consider purchasing a compass. Also, consider learning how to use a compass, if you don’t already know.
There are several ways to get emergency information.
* Listen to local radio stations for emergency updates.
* Watch Portland news stations.
* Read The Daily News or check it out free online at http://www.tdn.com/.
* Subscribe to our blog at www.cowlitzcountydem.blogspot.com
* Follow us on Twitter: @CowlitzDEM and @CowlitzDEMChat
* Be our fan on Facebook to get updates on your page: www.facebook.com/CowlitzCountyDEM
* Sign up for emergency text alerts by texting Follow CowlitzDEM to the number 40404.
* Register your cell phone to receive emergency messages from our ECNS system by visiting our website at www.co.cowlitz.wa.us/DEM.
But seriously, Cowlitz County Emergency Management encourages citizens to be prepared for any emergency event--whether it is zombies or the more likely severe winter storm, flood, chemical spill, technological interruption or earthquake. It’s a good idea for everyone to be ready for whatever disaster or emergency comes our way!
There’s one foolproof weapon that will always defeat zombies. Be sure to keep it sharp!! What is it? Your brain of course!