The only difference between adventure and disaster is preparedness.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Things that are Cool, part 2

You’ll be a fool every day of the year, if you don’t invest in this $1.50’s worth of safety. (Get it, cuz it’s April Fool’s Day, yes?) Anyway, this 5-in-1 survival whistle from Emergency Essentials is a great buy for your emergency kit, camping gear or to keep in your car. It is not only a shrill whistle, but also has a compass, a signal mirror, flint firestarter and the top comes off so you can keep matches in it. Instead of matches, I’d keep some Valium in it in case I had to stay at an emergency shelter with a bunch of strangers, knowwhatimean? I’m kidding. Mostly.

A whistle is one of the BEST things you can keep with you for several reasons. You use a lot less air blowing a whistle than screaming your head off, plus it’s way louder. I keep one in my desk drawer in case I’m trapped under rubble after an earthquake. The likelihood of the entire Sheriff’s Office collapsing on my head in an earthquake is pretty much a foregone conclusion, so a whistle makes me feel a smidgen better. Well, half a smidgen anyway. I don’t know how to use a compass, but I’m sure it could come in handy in some emergency situation. Obviously, I’d be the last one picked for the hiking team.

I’m sure you could also pick up something similar locally at Bob’s, Survival Bunker or at REI. Check back next week for another cool thing.

No comments: