The only difference between adventure and disaster is preparedness.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Cool Thing of the Week!

Ahhh...Friday! The end of the week is here and the Royal Wedding is over, so we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief. This week I wanted to highlight Quake Hold Putty. This putty, according to the website is:
*Ideal for securing antiques, collectibles, and other breakable items from falling
*Works on almost any surface
*Easy to apply with its pliable texture
*Non-toxic and non-damaging to your walls, surfaces, or furniture
*Easy to remove and reuse without leaving behind unsightly residue

I agree that it is all those things because I purchased some last year to secure my great-great-grandmother's lead crystal pitcher which means the world to me. The putty is basically really high quality Silly-Putty that you put under any breakables that you wouldn't want crashing down in an earthquake. Even if you hate all the breakable trinkets on your shelf and wouldn't shed a tear if they all broke, think of the time and energy you would save if you didn't have to clean up all that broken porcelain! I hate cleaning, especially when I have to exert effort like sweeping and making sure there aren't shards of glass anywhere. That's worth the $3.99 I paid for the package of Quake Hold at Home Depot.

I put the putty under the pitcher, as I previously mentioned, plus under a bunch of pictures, a vase and a terra-cotta pot I painted (poorly) while in Mexico. Plus, I still have half the package left. $3.99 well spent, my friends. Check out their website here and maybe next time you're at Lowe's or Home Depot, pick up a package. You can also get it pretty cheap at Amazon.com, so when you're picking up another copy of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (no, really, it's a book!), add some Quake Hold to your virtual shopping cart!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I love the putty idea! Thanks for that! I am all for being prepared for quakes. Recently I saw an earthquake simulator at a Navy base. It was so interesting because not only did it move, but they had furniture in it. Some of the furniture was fastened to the wall and other furniture was free standing. It didn't take much movement for even the large pieces of furniture to fall. I really want to protect my loved ones from being injured or even killed by something falling on them. So I am getting safety straps to hold my furniture to the walls. It's such an inexpensive way to protect people and pets. We all need to share ideas about how best to be prepared.