“With earthquakes, it’s not a matter of if; it’s a matter of when.” This video message from the Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH) illustrates the unpredictability of earthquakes and the impact tremors can have on businesses. Therefore, it is important for business owners to take steps to the ensure safety of their employees and customers.
FEMA and FLASH created the QuakeSmart Community Resilience Program to walk business owners through a step-by-step process to:
· Identify their risk by completing the “Back to Business” self-assessment;
· Develop a plan to reduce potential injury and property damage (mitigation); and
· Take action using the QuakeSmart Business Toolkit.
In addition, the program allows employers to apply for recognition as a member of the QuakeSmart Community. Benefits of participating in the program include:
· A QuakeSmart Resilient Community Member window cling to announce to customers and employees that you’ve taken steps to secure your business;
· A QuakeSmart Resilient Community Member web badge to display on your company website; and
· A sample news release to announce your participation in the QuakeSmart Community Resilience Program.
The Small Business Association estimates that 75 percent of organizations without a continuity plan will fail within three years of a disaster. Get prepared by joining the QuakeSmart Community Resilience Program today! Employers can also find valuable information in the America’s PrepareAthon! Prepare Your Organization for an Earthquake Playbook, which provides businesses with tools and resources to support preparedness discussions, tabletop exercises, and more.