On Friday, May 10, 2013 Longview Fire will be conducting a training fire at 201 Fishers Lane. The fire will occur in a small wood framed single family dwelling located next to the old water treatment plant. The purpose of this exercise will be to train and evaluate firefighters and fire officers in a realistic environment utilizing live fire which provides the most authentic training available.
For a building deemed suitable for life fire training all environmentally harmful products such as asbestos have been removed in accordance with the City of Longview and Southwest Clean Air Agency requirements. The live fire training excersize will follow NFPA 1403, Standards for Live Fire Training.
You can expect the following on Friday, May 10, 2013:
* Fire Department units will be on site from 8:30 a.m. until afternoon.
* Fishers Lane will be closed from 9:00 a.m. until about 2:30 p.m. "Local traffic only" for the residents living near the site will be allowed.
* Media will be given special access.
* Road closure hours have been set to avoid conflict with buses and carpools from the nearby elementary school and day care.
* Firefighters will train on interior combat/room fires in the morning, and larger fires as the day progresses.
* The structure will be burned to the ground, beginning around noon.
* Firefighters will be in place to protect nearby structures and vegetation, although this large lot presents minimal risks.