As the Taylor Bridge wildfire east of us continues to destroy everything in its path, it's a good day to review some wildfire safety tips courtesy of the American Red Cross.
Wildfires often begin unnoticed. They spread quickly, igniting brush, trees and homes. Reduce your risk by preparing now--before wildfire strikes. Meet with your family to decide what to do and where to go if wildfires threaten your area. Follow the steps listed in this brochure to protect your family, home and property.
People start most wildfires...find out how you can promote and practice wildfire safety:
* Make sure fire vehicles can get to your home. Clearly mark all driveway entrances and display your name and address.
* Report hazardous conditions that could cause a wildfire.
* Teach children about fire safety and about how and when to call 9-1-1. Keep matches out of their reach.
* Plan several escape routes away from your home--by car and on foot.
* Create a grab-and-go sized emergency kit for each member of your family. If a wildfire threatens your home, you will not have a lot of time to evacuate.