The Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office will be providing free boat safety inspections Saturday, July 16th at Willow Grove Boat Launch from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The public is welcome to bring their boats and personal watercraft. There will be free handouts and other boating safety information available.
Once inspected, each boat that passes the inspection will receive a 2011 Marine Safety Inspection Decal.
The boating inspection checklist includes:
* Registration Numbers: Properly displayed.
* Current Decal: Properly displayed.
* Certificate of Numbers (Registration): On board the vessel.
* Mandatory Education Card: For operators 35 years old and younger.
* Motor Vessel Checklist: For rentals.
* Personal Flotation Device (PFD): USCG approved and proper size.
* Personal Flotation Device: Adequate number and in good condition.
* Personal Flotation Device: Type IV for vessels 16' and over.
* Personal Flotation Device: Worn by children 12 and under.
* Fire Extinguisher: Approved and charged.
* Muffler: Adequate condition.
* Lights: Properly displayed (night only).
* Distress Signals: Adequate working order.
* Flame Arrestor: Clean and adequate.
* Sound Device: Horn/Whistle/Bell.
* Ventilation/Blower: Adequate and operable.
* Ski Flag: Properly displayed.
* Carbon Monoxide Decal: (Gas only; no PWC)
* Personal Watercraft (PWC): Lanyard and operators 14 and older.
* Aquatic Invasive Species: Clean hull.