The only difference between adventure and disaster is preparedness.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Set your clocks, check your stocks



No, not your Microsoft stocks, your emergency stockpiles!

When it’s time to change your clocks because of daylight saving time, remember to check your preparedness kit to make sure your emergency stockpile isn’t missing any items and that the food hasn’t expired. APHA’s Get Ready: Set Your Clocks, Check Your Stocks campaign is reminding people to refresh their emergency supplies before a disaster occurs.

If you haven’t created a stockpile yet, now is the time to create one! (And as always, don’t forget to check the batteries in your smoke alarms.) This information is good year-round: You don't have to wait for the clock change to update your stockpile.

I checked my emergency kit yesterday and was I ever glad that I did! I had a handful of hard candy on the bottom that somehow turned to sticky goo and got all over some of my emergency food and first aid kit. I was able to get that cleaned up (and by I, I mean my husband) and then go through and rotate out the water that was getting ready to expire and swap out some canned foods. I feel all warm and fuzzy now and I know if an emergency were to hit and I needed my kit, it wouldn't be covered in cinnamon goo and infested with ants. Good times!

No comments: