The only difference between adventure and disaster is preparedness.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Would You Be Ready?

If you and your family had to evacuate your home RIGHT NOW, would you be ready? The photo shown is the mass exodus from Houston, Texas in the wake of Hurricane Rita. The cars in the median are ones that ran out of gas. The people stranded could only hope that a kind-hearted person would pick them up so they didn't have to brave the hurricane while walking along the freeway. Granted, we don't generally suffer from horrendous storms such as hurricanes, but have you noticed that large volcano near Castle Rock? Evacuation is a definite possibility for all Cowlitz County residents. While I am proud to say that I have a pretty thorough evacuation kit for my car, I am a little embarrassed to say that it is currently sitting in my garage helping no one. I am also guilty of letting my car run on fumes before I can be bothered to fill up. Since I've shared these emergency preparedness shortcomings, I am now forced to get better so as to be a good example to my dear readers. At any rate, if the thought of having only minutes to leave your cozy home sends you into a panic, hyperventilate no more! Join us on February 2nd from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Cowlitz County PUD Auditorium for Prepare to Be Your Own Hero, a class all about evacuation including tips for special needs populations and pet owners. Marcie Maynes, owner of Simple-Safety, will teach participants about creating 3-day evacuation kits, maintaining sanitation, mobile bathrooms, emergency communications, reunification plans, general preparedness and more. This class is FREE and open to the public. Space is limited, so if you are interested please call our office at 577-3130 or email DEM@co.cowlitz.wa.us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.